Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hanging out in Otavalo



Hi! Niko here. it's FINALLY MY TURN TO WRITE THE BLOG! We took a looooooooooooooooooooong slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow ''express bus" from Latacunga to OtavaloWith Quilo in the belly. Unacceptable. We went to Otavalo because of the arts and crafts market there where  Kaia bought a tooth case(she lost yet another tooth!) a bracelet with a ring built into it, and a hairband used by Quechua, whose ancestors were the Incas.





I bought a Montecristi panama hat and bargained it down 13 dollars.





 Highlights of Otavalo were: Giant cheeseburgers, the best hostel we've had so far with chocolate pancakes and 3 hamacas (hammocks) (besides the super loud Danish tourists up all night long), water falls with mineral baths that bubbled like 7-up.  Bye for now.  Niko


              







        





5 comments:

  1. Niko, you are a great blogger! Loved hearing about your adventures from the perspective of a non-parent. Does "Quilo in the belly" mean that he had to ride underneath with the luggage? How did he respond to that?? Looking forward to the next episode. Hugs, Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog entry, Niko! Quilo in the belly - did you eat him? : ) -Amy and Sergey and Bear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niko, I loved reading your blog. The Panama hat looks great on you. When you get to Cuenca you should arrange to get a tour of the Panama hat factory where they show you step by step how they're made. It's very interesting. I loved the Otavalo market when I was there and purchased a couple colorful sweaters. What a fun market! Kaia's hairband looked beautiful in her hair. Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lucky lucky kiddos! Keep writing about all your fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My comment disappeared TWICE. :(
    But mainly I said:
    It all looks PERFECT. I'd ask y'all to send me one of those hats that Niko has, but I doubt I'd wear it and then that ingenious beauty would be wasted under a mountain of Minnesota dust. So maybe I'll request a lovely Incan hair tie like Kaia got. And some yummy coconut water.
    Big Daddy, what a FINE little film you made! Please give me some lessons on your techniques and tools.
    Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete